Wednesday, December 1, 2010

4th Grade Happenings

This week has been filled with ups and downs, highs and lows. But as I think about it every week is that way. I don't think I would want to have a week with no downs or lows. I don't think the ups and the highs would be as exciting. I will start by sharing a sadness of this week. Yesterday, Ishbel, had her last day of school. She is leaving tonight to head back to Australia. I am excited for her. She gets to go back to where she is from and see all here friends and family again. At the same time it is very sad to see her go. Ishbel, was a quite student, always did her work and got decent grades. What I loved the most about Ishbel is that she beat to her own drum. She did not care what others thought and she was happy to do what she wanted to do. She was really good friends with Ailan and Mesikt, but yet she was still happy doing her Ishbel thing. I think that for a 10 year old that is a great quality to have. If only I could spend time caring what others think and just doing what I wanted to do, how much better off I might be sometimes. I will miss Ishbel, she was a great student and will be greatly missed. It is hard to lose students. You get so used to doing everything in a certain number, but when your 21 becomes 20 it is a sad day.
Along with the sad there is good. Today is Merkii's birthday. Today she turned 10. It is so exciting when the kids have birthdays. They are just so excited about turning a year older. Merkii's mom brought in cake and ice cream and the kids got to join in the celebration of another year of life for Merkii. Life is such a precious thing and each new year is exciting. It was funny though. I remember as a kid my mom would always ask so how does it feel to be a year older, so I asked Merkii that today and she said the same thing I always said, "It feels the same." We never realize how much we grow and change in a year. It is a special time to get to celebrate birthday's with my students. Each birthday is special.
Teaching comes with it's funny moments as well. Today, 8B had chapel, they put on the story of Jonah. They did a great job. When Ms. Rossi was telling about the lesson of the story, she said, "raise your hand if you have ever made a mistake before." Most everyone in the audience raised there hands. I really wasn't thinking much about raising my hand I was just listening and thinking. Than one of my students, Edson, turned around and said Ms. Meggan you've made mistakes... than there was a pause... and a quite raise your hand. Edson said this in a really respectful way it. But it just made me laugh the way he said it. Edson is quite the kid you never know what he is going to say sometimes. He is one for the kids say the darnest things.
Another up and down in my classroom is a child named Rendi. I do love that kid dearly, but there are days with him that I just want to pull my hair out. For example, on Monday we had a fire drill, every student was lined up and we were all waiting for Rendi who was just chilling at his desk, because he did not want to line up. When I got on him to get up. He told me it was just a drill, so he wasn't moving. Than I asked what if it were a really fire. His response was I can handle it. So, if the whole classroom where on fire, you could handle it. Yup, sure could. Sometimes am at a lost for word with this kid. The conversation went on and he ended up back talking me, which landed him in the corner and a lost recess for not being willing to do the fire drill. I got his normal, but I did not do anything comment and that was it. Than there are other times when Rendi can be great. Like today after school, since he as to stay after school until all his homework is done, we were working on his Science assignment together. He was trying and looking up answers. He did pretty good on the assignment too. First quarter, he had all F's, which where the staying after school started. Today, he was asking about his grades since was doing work now, I told him we need to work on Social and Math, those are his only two F's now everything else is a C. I am so proud of the progress he has in his grades. Rendi is a great kid, I think I say his name more times a day than anyone elses. I love him more and more as the days go on. I know he has a rough life and I pray for him every night. The days Rendi is absent, which are alot, it is quite in the classroom and I miss Rendi. I think every classroom needs it's one trouble maker. Class just isn't the same with out them.
So it is now December, getting the classroom ready for Christmas and getting the students ready for the end of the semester. We have made a Christmas tree and colored white paper green and taped it to the wall. Today, the students drew nativity pictures which are now on the wall. I love Christmas and being able to decorate my classroom. On Friday, we are going to make ornaments for our tree and snowflakes to go around the classroom. While doing this I plan on playing the one Christmas CD that I brought with me. If it weren't so hot here I would bring in hot chocolate. But when it is 80 some degrees and humid with the ercon on, hot chocolate is the last thing you want. Christmas is different here in Palau and it is only the first day of December, but I am exciting that I get to spend this holiday with a classroom of bright smiling 4th graders.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your stories. you make it seem like we can see all your kids when you write. :) keep up the good work, Ms Meggan. :D

    ReplyDelete